Can you leave a dog alone overnight? There are times you may not be able to be at home at night. When contemplating whether or not to leave your dog alone overnight, consider the following:
- Does your dog regularly spend extended periods of time alone? If you work from home most of the time and your dog is used to you being there a lot, it can be cruel to suddenly be away for hours and hours. More to the point, it can be difficult for your pup to hold his bladder for that long. If, on the other hand, your furbaby is used to you being gone all day at work and is usually pretty relaxed about it, you may be able to leave them alone at night.
- Do you usually spend time at home at night? If you usually snuggle at night with your dog and your dog sleeps with you, he or she may become very distressed and upset if you're suddenly not there one night. On the other hand, if your dog spends their time at night in a crate, it may be easier for them to adjust.
- What is your dog's temperament and breed? Some dogs are more prone to separation anxiety than others.
- Does your dog suffer from separation anxiety or a medical condition? Some dogs have medical conditions or experience such distress when you're not there that it’s not advisable to leave them alone for long periods of time. If this is the case, hire a pet sitter or get a friend to stay with your dog at night.
- Would you be okay with leaving your dog alone at night? It's not just your furbaby you need to worry about. Do you think it is cruel to leave the dog alone overnight? If you do, you may end up being so worried about your dog that you don’t enjoy your night out anyway.
- How long will you be away? You don't want to be leaving a dog alone for 24 hours or more because they will need to go potty and go out for some exercise. If you need to be away for longer, hire a sitter or get a friend to care for your dog.
Consider, too, that if you put your dog in a kennel, they may be alone at night, anyway. How well your dog responds to being left alone overnight is a very personalized experience. One dog may be perfectly fine with it and another may be extremely distressed.
If you do decide to leave your dog alone during the day or at night, make sure you have a way of checking up on your furbaby. One of the biggest dangers of a dog being left alone at any time is that in the case of an emergency they have no way of leaving the house to get help.
Furbo Dog Camera is a two-way communication system with an HD and night vision camera so you can keep an eye on your dog remotely, day and night. You can dispense treats, talk to your dog and even take pictures. It's the perfect way to keep in touch with your furbaby even if you need to be away from them.